Wednesday 22 July 2015

MY EXPERIENCE GETTING LIP INJECTIONS! PART 1

Hey y'all, this is a little in-between post again! I've just bought a new camera today and I'll be picking it up in a couple of days and all the posts that are in my to-do list I also really want to film a video for too! We'll see though. You can most definitely expect to see some clothing hauls, travel hauls, in-flight essentials (I'm going to Europe in 3 weeks!) and some facts about me! Stay tuned for those bad boys.

Moving on to todays actual post, my experience getting lip injections. Now, I am very aware that this could potentially be a very weird thing to do/talk about. Before I had it done myself, I did think it was quite silly and I never really understood why people had it done. That was until I had read Chloe Morello's (A fellow Canberran native) post and watched her video on when she had gotten it done. My views then kind of changed and I also had a friend trying to convince me to get it done with her because she really wanted it done! I definitely felt a bit more at ease about potentially getting it done because after reading Chloe's post, I actually found out that it wasn't botox! This whole time I was thinking the only lip injections people get are botox!

We um-ed and uh-ed about it for a while then we finally sucked it up and booked in with Laser Clinics Australia that was recommended to us by someone we work with. Because we had never had it done before, our first appointment was also joined onto a consultation. We both went in together and did the whole procedure together! We were so nervous. During the consultation, the doctor spoke to us about what kind of look we were wanting to achieve and how she could do it based on the actual shape of our lips and what not. Also, she told us what product she would recommend for both of us. We both were told to use Juvaderm, as it is a softer, more easy to work with product. We were also told that this product doesn't last forever; that it does dissolve over time because it is only Hyaluronic Acid (basically a sugar gel) and depending and how fast your metabolism is, depends on how long it lasts. She then took some photos and then told us to decide who wanted to go first. I chickened out and made my friend go first.

I watched my friends lips grow by the second and was trying not to freak out about the fact that I have a huge fear of needles and that they would be going into my lips! Where we went, they only sell the Juvaderm by the mL (millilitre) and we could only get 1mL injected at a time. If we wanted anymore, we'd have to come back in 4 weeks and get another 1mL etc.

Side note: 1mL = $389

My turn was up and the doctor applied some numbing cream to my lips and said, "Try not to get it in your mouth"…well I tried my best. Somehow, I managed to get it all over my tongue which resulted in it pretty much being all through my mouth. I can safely say that the numbing cream is a solid 99% effective.

As I watched her load the needle up with the juvaderm (which is a liquid if I forgot to mention it) and tried to just relax and think happy thoughts.

She injected the needle and I didn't really feel much pain. It was just a very awkward, uncomfortable feeling. And what made it worse was that you could actually feel the product going in and expanding! Talk about cringey. She did this over and over, all around my lips until she got a mirror and asked if I was happy. I looked at my bloodied and bruised, but numb, lips and decided that, yes, I was happy with how she had made my lips look. She then told me that I had only used 0.5mL and I still had another 0.5mL to go! I decided that I didn't want anymore, I liked how they look and I didn't want to go too big the first time around. Anyway, my friend had decided that she wanted hers even bigger and asked if they could use my remaining 0.5mL on her! The doctor said yes and went back to work on my friend!

That's the hard part over. Afterwards, we went and got some cold drinks as our lips were starting to feel quite tender. Little did we know it would be ridiculously hard to sip from a straw with semi-numb, swollen lips.

We then came back home and put some ice on them and watched a couple of movies. It was only later that night that we realised that we actually had some nasty bruises on our lips. The doctor did tell us that it would most likely happen and that we should worry, but we still freaked out! We also found out just how hard and painful it was to drink and/or eat anything. We woke up the next morning feeling as though we had both been punched in the face…and we both looked it too!

Just after obviously amazed at how numb my lips were.

 Overall, I was quite happy with the procedure. However, I did feel that they were a tad uneven, but I got that fixed. You'll have to wait for Part 2 to see that though! :)

I believe this was a week or so after? You can still see the bruising and the sites of the injections…well I can anyway.


Standard pout. But still needed improving.

I feel like a lot of people say that girls shouldn't do this because they need to feel beautiful and empowered in who they already are, which I totally agree with. But I do believe that if you're insecure about something, change it so you love it more; so you love you more. I wasn't ever insecure about my lips. I did it to try it out and do something for myself.

Some people do it because its a craze or fashion trend, and that is okay. Some people do it because they have really thin lips and they want some volume in them, and that is okay. Some people do it because they feel insecure in how thin their lips are and they want to change that, and that is okay. And some people just do it for themselves, and that is okay too.

Before I start on a semi-feminist rant, I'll end the post here! But I will leave some advice too. If you have any questions about the procedure, feel free to leave them in the comments below :) X

 ADVICE:
-Don't let anyone talk you out of it if it is something you want to do
-If you have a fear of needles, don't worry! It's all numb!
-If you completely hate it afterwards, don't stress, it only lasts for 3-6 moths the first time!
-Be prepared that the doctors can only work with and enhance the shape you already have!
-Do your research on the products they use beforehand
-Lastly, book in at Laser Clinics Australia. They are simply amazing and everyone is so kind and the service is to die for!



LINKS:

Chloe's Post

Chloe's Video

Laser Clinics Australia



No comments:

Post a Comment